Friday, May 8, 2020

Stir fry fenugreek sprouts

Fenugreek sprouts stir-fry





Fenugreek also known as methi is an annual plant whose leaves we consume .The seed is used as a spice in Indian cooking and has lots of health benefits. The leaves are used as curry and are very important winter greens in Northern India. Aloo methi being the most popular of the dishes. Methi leaves can be added to wheat flour dough to make methi paratha. The dried leaves are called kasuri methi and are added to curries like the chole or chickpea curry. It is beneficial and may control blood sugar, heart burn, inflammation, helps milk production in lactating mothers and it has side effects as well. Lets not dwell into medical uses anything used in moderation does not harm the body.

Did you know you can sprout it?
Yes, we can.



We can consume it every day as salad, just add salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. I can just chomp off (as my 8 year old says to anything he likes) any day but beware it tastes a bit bitter.
I sometimes make this sprout and as the shelf life of the sprouts are not very long, say about a week at most in the fridge; we have to consume it fast.

By the way I have not told you that I am a Nepali, born and brought up in Darjeeling. I have lived a decade in North while studying and now married to a South Indian so my cooking can be a mix of all types. Not that i am an expert nor was I interested in cooking while growing up, but somehow along the way i have picked up some skill to cook decently. For a long time i thought of starting a food blog but i know i will not keep it up same with my travel journals which i have not updated since 10 years(but that happens to be the time since my status changed to ‘married’ ha ha...such is life your priorities change and so on....

The only positive remark about my cooking when i was in school and back in Darjeeling was my brother who told me once “you cook anything as long as its sweet i will eat it”.
As i am writing about food let me not miss this line as well before i write about sprout stir-fry. After i started to work i stayed with my brother in Delhi and he would always prefer home cooked food from there my food journey began.Quite late in life non the less it started and i am thankful for that.

 My grandfather and father both are good at cooking. I will leave that to next time.....



Here is my simple recipe of stir fried methi sprouts.

Ingredients ( i am not much of a follower of proportions )

1 big onion or 2 medium onions
3 medium tomatoes
4 crushed clove of garlic
An inch of ginger julienned
2 green chillies (as per your heat tolerance)
Salt to taste
3 tablespoon oil
And a cup of methi sprouts.

Method

Heat oil add ginger and garlic stir fry a bit till it becomes light brown add chillies and onion sauté till translucent. Then add tomato add salt as the tomato cooks faster. Once tomato is mushy add the sprouts .Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes and switch off the flame. Add coriander leaf for garnish.

It’s done!  Easy and healthy serve with hot rice or roti.

No comments: