Monday, May 25, 2020

Sprouting Fenugreek/Methi



Fenugreek sprouts



I had posted about fenugreek stir-fry earlier, so now I am going to post how to make the sprouts. Its super easy and is ready by day four. It is not necessary to wait that long however as I do not have access to Methi greens so I let them grow a bit more so that I can use it to make Methi paratha which is normally made using Methi leaves.Leafy greens are a rarity in Trivandrum in normal times,now that the Corona (Covid19)has take over and we are holed up indoors, we don't even get to see the normal amaranth overgrown greens.So here is to the microgreens which has become a regular at my dinner table.As long as I have something healthy, pesticide free,I am happy to use it in my cooking.
Be it methi paratha,sprout stir fry or just as salad I relish it.

Lets start.....
Take one fourth cup of fenugreek. 

Wash it and soak it overnight in a bowl of water.


Next morning the seeds will swell twice its size, rinse it and put it in a big strainer. When I made moong sprouts I used to rinse the seeds once a day to wet it, however while researching to sprout soybean I got to know they rinse the seeds often, as often as in two hours gap.Which means even at night 😊 you can miss the night part it still grows well.
This keeps the micro greens clean, hydrated and plump.Below picture at the end of day one .

Run it under the water in the sink as often as you remember, its ok if you forget the 2 hour gap but don’t let it dry out.At the end of day three they have grown so much.


Keep them hydrated and your sprouts are ready rinse it in a bowl to remove all the seed covers and store it in a ziplock bag once the water has drained off.It stays in a fridge for a week.


Happy Sprouting !


No comments: